Funding opportunities for COVID-19 research available to investigators
Research Development and the Research Concierge Service at Penn State College of Medicine have developed a list of funding opportunities for investigators interested in research projects related to COVID-19.
The National Science Foundation, National Institutes of Health, Centers for Disease Control and other institutions are supporting research from a variety of disciplines to address the COVID-19 pandemic.
Medical Technology Enterprise Consortium
- Solicitation Number: MTEC-20-09-COVID-19_Treatment_MIDRP “Development of Treatments for COVID-19”
- The focus area is on therapeutic(s) that can treat COVID-19. Treatments with potential application to the prevention of COVID-19 infection, and therapeutics that can be administered in a non-hospital environment, are desired.
Department of Defense
Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency
- Note: From the agency’s COVID-19 FAQ – I have a research project idea related to COVID-19. Where should I submit my proposal? DARPA is always interested in new ideas and emerging technologies and solutions. The DARPA technical offices that are focused on these efforts are the Defense Sciences Office (DSO) and the Biological Technology Office (BTO), both of which have Office-Wide Broad Agency Announcements (BAA) that are open for the submission of new ideas at any time.
Medical CBRN Defense Consortium (MCDC)
National Science Foundation
RAPID Research on Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- NSF 20-052 Dear Colleague Letter on the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- NSF 20-055 Dear Colleague Letter: Provisioning Advanced Cyberinfrastructure to Further Research on the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- NSF 20-065 Dear Colleague Letter: Request for SBIR/STTR Phase I Proposals Addressing COVID-19
- Resource: NSF Supporting Research to Address Coronavirus Disease Blog
Department of Health and Human Services
Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority
- BAA-18-100-SOL-00003 Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority (BARDA) Broad Agency Announcement (BAA) – COVID -19
- Note: Only submissions in support of COVID-19 research are being reviewed at this time. Review of all other topics is paused.
- BARDA’s Division of Research, Innovation & Ventures (DRIVe) Easy Broad Agency Announcement – COVID-19 Topics
- Note: New COVID-19 related topics are added under Special Instructions 001-004.
National Institutes of Health
- NOT-AI-20-030 Notice of Special Interest (NOSI) regarding the Availability of Urgent Competitive Revisions for Research on the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)
- RFA-AI-20-028 Partnerships for Countermeasures against Select Pathogens (R01 Clinical Trials Not Allowed)
- NOT-HL-20-757 Notice of Special Interest (NOSI): Availability of Administrative Supplements and Revision Supplements on Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- NOT-DA-20-047 Notice of Special Interest (NOSI) regarding the Availability of Administrative Supplements and Urgent Competitive Revisions for Research on the 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- NAID: NOT-AI-20-034 Notice of Special Interest (NOSI) regarding the Availability of Emergency Competitive Revisions for Research on Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) and Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- NIGMS: NOT-GM-20-025 Notice of Special Interest (NOSI) regarding the Availability of Urgent Competitive Revisions for Research on Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) and the Causative Virus SARS-CoV-2
- NOT-TR-20-011 Notice of Special Interest (NOSI): Clinical and Translational Science Award (CTSA) Program Applications to Address 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) Public Heath Need
- Resource: NIAID’s Multi-Pronged Response to the COVID-2019 Outbreak
- Resource: NIH Fogarty International Center Coronavirus news, funding, and resources for global health researchers
- Resource: Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19): Information for NIH Applicants and Recipients of NIH Funding
- This includes a video update on common questions, FAQs on flexibilities for the research community, funding opportunities and more
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- 75D301-20-R-67897 Centers for Disease Control COVID-19 Broad Agency Announcement
- CDC-RFA-OT18-18020202SUPP20 Strengthening Public Health Systems and Services through National Partnerships to Improve and Protect the Nations Health
- Note: Funding is only available for the organizations that were previously awarded funding under Funding Strategy 1 of CDC-RFA-OT18-1802: “Strengthening Public Health Systems and Services through National Partnerships to Improve and Protect the Nation’s Health” in FY18.
Department of Energy
- Department of Energy Call for Suggestions and Collaborations to address COVID-19
- Resource: DOE Resources Supporting Coronavirus Research
Department of Homeland Security
Transportation Security Administration
- American Heart Association Rapid Response Grant: COVID-19 and its cardiovascular impact
- Wellcome Trust: Epidemic Preparedness: COVID-19 funding call
- Amazon AWS Diagnostic Development Initiative (DDI)
- MIT Solve Health Security & Pandemics Challenge
- DARPA Polyplexus
For details, contact the Research Concierge Service at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you're having trouble accessing this content, or would like it in another format, please email the Penn State College of Medicine web department.