Applications open for clinical and translational science training programs
Penn State Clinical and Translational Science Institute is now accepting applications for its 2021-2022 Translational Research Training Program (TL1) and summer 2021 Translational Science Fellowship Program.
The Translational Research (TL1) Training Program provides tailored educational opportunities for graduate and medical students to learn skills essential for interdisciplinary clinical and translational research.
Medical students must opt to take a year off of their clinical studies to pursue research training full-time. The flexible curriculum includes statistics, epidemiology, clinical research methods, bioinformatics, research ethics and scientific communication. Coursework is combined with training in team-based research. Successful applicants remain with their major program, research adviser and lab.
The TL1 program provides a 12-month stipend, 60% of fall and spring tuition, and travel funds. The student’s home department, program or adviser must provide the remaining 40% of tuition and any additional salary stipend above the National Institutes of Health (NIH) rates.
For more information about the program and the application process, visit ctsi.psu.edu/tl1. Applications are due by Feb. 28.
The Translational Science Fellowship Program provides graduate and medical students with the opportunity to gain skills in clinical and translational research in a summer experiential program.
The program, targeted to early-stage learners includes training in foundational skills such as research design and data analysis and professional skills such as communication, ethics and teamwork.
Topics are covered in 10 full-day sessions in June and July. The program emphasizes independent and facilitated active group learning. Opportunities to practice skills are integrated throughout the program using case studies, simulations, computer-based modules and small-group discussions. The fellowship program provides a three-month stipend.
For more information about the program and the application process, visit ctsi.psu.edu/tsf. Application deadline is March 15.
Students or faculty with questions about the TL1 or TSF programs should email Karen Shields at email@example.com.
Both programs are dependent on NIH funding, secured through a grant application currently under review.
If you're having trouble accessing this content, or would like it in another format, please email the Penn State College of Medicine web department.