Lang gives 2019 Spring Dean’s Lecture on muscle wasting
The annual Research Recognition Awards honoring Penn State College of Medicine faculty were presented in conjunction with the Spring Dean’s Lecture on May 14, 2019.
Charles Lang, PhD, distinguished professor of cellular and molecular physiology and surgery and Associate Dean for Graduate Studies, presented the Spring Dean’s Lecture titled “Under the Influence: Mechanisms Mediating Alcohol-Inducing Muscle Wasting.”
Lang reported the results and conclusions of studies his laboratory performed investigating how chronic alcohol abuse leads to muscle wasting. He expressed his gratitude to the collaborators and young investigators who have contributed to his research throughout his career.
After the lecture, Dr. Leslie Parent, Vice Dean for Research and Graduate Studies, presented the 2019 Research Recognition Awards:
- Career Research Excellence Award — Joanna Floros, PhD, Evan Pugh Professor, pediatrics; professor, obstetrics and gynecology, cellular and molecular physiology
- Outstanding Research Publication — Yongsoo Kim, PhD, assistant professor, neural and behavioral sciences (“Brain-wide Maps Reveal Stereotyped Cell-Type-Based Cortical Architecture and Subcortical Sexual Dimorphism” ― Yongsoo Kim, Guangyu Robert Yang, Kith Pradhan, Kannan Umadevi Venkataraju, Mihail Bota, Luis Carlos García del Molino, Greg Fitzgerald, Keerthi Ram, Miao He, Jesse Maurica Levine, Partha Mitra, Z. Josh Huang, Xiao Jing Wang, Pavel Osten, Cell, Oct. 5, 2017)
- Samuel Hinkle Junior Faculty Research Award — Michael Dennis, PhD, assistant professor, cellular and molecular physiology, ophthalmology; Yongsoo Kim, PhD, assistant professor, neural and behavioral sciences; Nicholas Zaorsky, MD, assistant professor, radiation oncology, public health sciences
- Outstanding Education Researcher — Jed Gonzalo, MSc, MD, associate dean of health systems education; assistant professor, medicine, public health sciences
- Outstanding Community-Engaged Researcher — Deepa Sekhar, MD, MSc, associate professor, pediatrics; Jane Schubart, MBA, MS, PhD, associate professor, surgery, medicine, public health sciences
- Outstanding Champion of Diversity in Research — Dajiang Liu, PhD, MA, associate professor, public health sciences, biochemistry and molecular biology
- Outstanding Research Staff Member — Carrie Criley, human research technologist, psychiatry; Susan DiAngelo, research technologist, pediatrics; Sarah Frey, proposal and award generalist, Office of Research Affairs; Shawn Rice, research technologist, Penn State Cancer Institute; Jennifer Schaefer, research concierge, research development; Debra Spear, clinical research coordinator, pediatrics critical care.
Career Citation Milestones
This award recognizes a career citation milestone of 500 or more citations for a primary article where the recipient was first or last author. Review and guideline articles are excluded. One award is given per article that receives 500 or more citations.
- Alistair Barber, PhD ― one award
- Chandra Belani, MD ― two awards
- Edward Bixler, MA, PhD, MA ― three awards
- Paul Eslinger, PhD, MS ― one award
- Yuka Imamura, PhD ― one award
- Richard Legro, MD ― three awards
- Richard Mailman, PhD ― two awards
- Steven Schiff, MD, PhD ― one award
- Alexandros Vgontzas, MD, ScD ― four awards
- Hong-Gang Wang, PhD ― three awards
If you're having trouble accessing this content, or would like it in another format, please email the Penn State College of Medicine web department.