Cancer Institute awards support cancer research trainee presentations, growth
Ten cancer research trainees presented their research at conferences thanks to travel awards from Penn State Cancer Institute (PSCI)’s Cancer Research Training and Education Coordination (CRTEC) Core. The awards — received by medical and graduate students, residents and postdoctoral scholars — support CRTEC’s goal to foster scientific growth at all career levels.
The PSCI Travel Award Program was established to support the research and career development of Cancer Institute affiliate members. The awards provide financial support for active participation in national or international research conferences, by reimbursement of conference registration fees, up to $500. Applications are accepted on a quarterly basis, with the next submission deadline on July 15.
Awardees from January to March 2022 include:
- Daphne Weikart, BS, Food Science graduate student
- Fenghua Qian, MD, Pathobiology graduate student
- Eileen Flores, MPH, Public Health Sciences graduate student
- Xiaoming Liu, BA, Biomedical Sciences graduate student
- M. Asif Raza, PhD, postdoctoral scholar
- Mara Trifoi, BS, medical student
- Lindsey Jackson, BS, Biomedical Sciences graduate student
- Akshilkumar Patel, BS, medical student
- Suchitra Mohanty, PhD, postdoctoral scholar
- William Wong, DO, MPH, resident physician
Trainees interested in applying for a travel award must become an affiliate member. More information on Penn State Cancer Institute Affiliate Membership can be found here.
All current Penn State students and trainees who are performing cancer research within Penn State Cancer Institute are eligible for affiliate membership status. This includes medical students, graduate students, postdoctoral scholars, residents and fellows. Benefits of affiliate membership include, eligibility for awards intended exclusively for trainees, career development programs, increased networking opportunities with other Penn State cancer research trainees, inclusion at scientific program meetings, receipt of regular cancer institute communications and invitations to cancer institute seminars and annual member scientific retreats.
Learn more and apply for affiliate membership
If you're having trouble accessing this content, or would like it in another format, please email the Penn State College of Medicine web department.