‘Patients first’ parking policies are working
In April, Penn State Health Milton S. Hershey Medical Center asked its employees to change the way they park to accommodate the campus’ rapid growth and improve parking for patients and their families. Parking assignments changed. The shuttle service expanded. The hospital installed a valet service.
The efforts of the Milton S. Hershey Medical Center and Penn State College of Medicine employees, faculty and staff have been a success, say patients and Parking Services managers. So far, 31,000 people have used the shuttle since the changes. More than 1,544 employees applied for parking permits to comply with the parking policy.
Patients appreciate the change. Here are a couple of comments from recent patient satisfaction surveys:
- “It was nice to be able to find a parking spot compared to other times when none were available. Staff was courteous and pleasant.”
- “Even found a parking space this month. Life is good.”
Hershey Medical Center leaders encourage employees to continue parking in Lot L located next to the Academic Support Building to make more room for patients.
Shuttles will run from Lot L about every six to eight minutes. More routes, more runs and more tracking services keep patients and employees moving while construction projects temporarily change parking availability.
Among the features:
- Employees can download the Microtransit app to see the real-time location of the shuttle bus and when it will arrive at bus stops. Staff can also access real-time location and next-stop information online. This information is available on both smartphones and desktop computers and features a map of all active vehicles and routes.
- To accommodate the parking changes, Shuttle Services has increased the number of campus routes and the times of service.
- The shuttle runs from 6:30 a.m. until 6:30 p.m., arriving about every six minutes from Lot L near the Academic Support Building. See the shuttle route map.
- An on-demand shuttle will run from 5:30 a.m. until 11:30 p.m. Employees can call 717-599-6376 for a ride to 17 different locations in Hershey. See the on-demand shuttle locations.
If you're having trouble accessing this content, or would like it in another format, please email the Penn State College of Medicine web department.