Dr. Ami DeWaters named interim director for Penn State College of Medicine’s Health Systems Science Office
Dr. Ami DeWaters has been named the interim director of Penn State College of Medicine’s Health Systems Science Office and will lead a key strategic goal to develop future health care professionals and scientists.
DeWaters, an associate professor of medicine in the Division of General Internal Medicine, has most recently served as assistant director of Health Systems Science Education. She completed her medical degree at the Medical College of Georgia, her internal medicine residency at Penn State Health Milton S. Hershey Medical Center and a general internal medicine fellowship at UT Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas. During her fellowship, she obtained a Master of Science degree, with a focus on medical education. She is clinically active as a general internist, and her education interests are focused on curriculum development in health systems science spanning across the continuum of medical education.
As interim director of the Health Systems Science Office, DeWaters will be the principal investigator for the “Reimagining Residency” grant awarded by the American Medical Association. She also will lead the advancement of goal three of the Penn State College of Medicine strategic plan, which charges the College with developing future health care professionals and scientists who draw on the best practices of the humanities, biomedical sciences and health systems science to enhance health and community impact.
DeWaters will build on the work of the team that began the execution of the goal plan and will continue the work for approximately one year or until a permanent director is recruited via a national search. The aims of goal three, which were developed by a team of faculty and staff, led by Dr. Matt Silvis, include:
- Inventory and assessment of current staff, overlap with related strategic plan goals, resources and programs within Penn State, the College of Medicine and Penn State Health that support health system science-related programs Dr. Ami DeWaters has been named the interim director of Penn State College of Medicine’s Health Systems Science Office.and projects.
- Develop an execution plan, inclusive of a SWOT analysis, for a Penn State College of Medicine Center for Health Systems Science through collaboration with key stakeholders in Penn State, the College of Medicine, Penn State Health and potential external partners. This will include recommendations for the governance of the Health System Science
- Provide prioritized recommendations for investment in infrastructure, staffing and resources and comparison to industry benchmarks or comparator organizations.
- Develop, issue and award a request for proposal (RFP) for health system science seed projects.
- Via RFP awards, oversee the completion of two pilot health system science initiatives with a rigorous assessment of value to the organization.
Expand the base of internal expertise by leveraging the Office of Health System Science in the College of Medicine to train four dedicated fellows.
If you're having trouble accessing this content, or would like it in another format, please email Penn State Health Marketing & Communications.